Monday, July 14, 2008

Getting Ready for New Brunswick

For the first time in a long while, Kathy & I had a weekend without a speaking engagement, a presentation, or an appointment of any kind. Good thing because we needed the time to get ready for our trip to New Brunswick! Packing, housecleaning, translating scripts into French, printing, and making arrangements for cat-feeding and plant-watering were some of the things that required our attention. Thank God for friends and neighbours that are willing to help us out.

Nevertheless, we did take time to go to church this morning. It’s the first time in months that we’ve attended a worship service at Hiway Pentecostal, our partner church in Barrie. Pastor Todd saw me earlier in the week when I came to the church office for something, but when we walked in the church door this morning, he took this very public occasion to exclaim in a loud voice, “Is that Mike Steinborn I see here in church? I don’t believe my eyes! And Kathy too? It’s about time you two decided to come to church again!” Haha, what a comedian! He’s really quite a nice guy when you get to know him, though :)

It’s going to be a late night tonight as I finish translating some of our PowerPoint slides into French, particularly the section dealing with Bible translation challenges. Some of the examples that are illustrative and funny in English don’t work in French at all, so I have to find other ones.

Kathy has informed me that the alarm is going off at 6 a.m. on Monday morning. She also said that if we can get on the road by 7 o’clock, she’ll buy me a Starbucks coffee for the road. Otherwise, forget it buddy! Wow, if that isn’t a great incentive, I don’t know what is! Our contact in New Brunswick, Allison, has told me that there is no Starbucks in the area to which we’ll be going, so this may be the last one I get for over a week. I can do this! Yes I can! I’m sure I can... I think...

Well, I’d better hurry up and finish here. It’s already after midnight and six o’clock is coming.

No comments: