Wednesday, July 16, 2008

A Divine Appointment

You’re not going to believe it, but I actually lowered myself to drinking a McDonald’s coffee this morning! Oh how the mighty have fallen! We were in a hurry, grabbed a bite of breakfast at McD’s in Edmundston, and didn’t want to drive several kilometres back to the Tim’s we’d passed on the way there. Nor did I want to take the time to stop at any of the Tim’s we saw further along the route.

But God has a sense of humour. We had to stop for gas before taking an isolated stretch of road on the final leg of the trip to Bathurst. As we drove into the gas station and up to the pump, we saw a sign: “Free Van Houtte coffee with each fill-up.” Kathy smiled at me with a knowing look in her eye, but I said, “No way, I’ve had enough.”

As I was filling up, the video screen on the pump reminded me: “Free Van Houtte coffee with each fill-up.” Being a man of iron self-discipline, I steeled myself against the temptation. After the fill-up, I took a few minutes to wash our bug-spattered windshield. As I finished, however, I realized that I had forgotten to hit the pump button for a receipt and now it was too late. So I went into the station shop to ask for a receipt.

While I was in there, I noticed the coffee stand and smelled the aroma of fresh brewed java. Well, I figured it wouldn’t hurt to simply go over and look at what they had. Turns out they had a regular Columbian roast… and WOW, what is THAT?!!! A vanilla-hazelnut flavoured blend?!!! Hey, I may not be the brightest crayon in the box, but I know a divine appointment when I see one!

Kathy nearly laughed herself sick when I got back in the car. But I just took it in stride, knowing that she’s not as sensitive to these kinds of divine appointments as I am :)

The group that turned out for our presentation at the Four Square Christian Fellowship church tonight in Bathurst wasn’t large, but we had a great time together! Susan, the Missions co-ordinator, had tables and chairs all set up, and arranged for dessert & drinks to be brought. The church had an excellent sound, lighting, and projection system that greatly facilitated our ease of presentation. And the pastor graciously agreed to take part in one of our skits. They were a great group that appeared to take our presentation to heart. We’re praying that God will speak to their hearts about actively getting involved in the task of Bible translation. There’s still so much to be done.

It was cool to finally meet Allison (and her family), who up till now we’ve only known through Facebook. We’ll be staying with them for the next few days. And they’ve given us the best bed in the house (the one in the nice, cool basement) while they suffer in their much hotter bedroom upstairs. Now that’s sacrifice! Thanks, Allison!

No comments: