Friday, July 10, 2009

Paying For Your Education

I had to work hard at it, but I finally managed to do it! After several failed attempts, I finally managed to get a traffic ticket that I actually had to pay! Guess what I got a ticket for? Naw, you’ll never guess, so I’ll tell you: for texting on my cellphone while driving! Did you know that was illegal in Burkina? I didn’t. But I do now :) Like I’ve always said: you’ve got to pay for your education.

I had just gone to visit my friend, Aristide, who’d had an operation on his foot following a motorcycle accident. Unfortunately, when DesirĂ© and I had arrived at the little clinic to see him, it wasn’t visiting hours. However, the nurse on duty kindly agreed to let us see him for a few minutes. Now I was on my way home again and letting Kathy know that I was coming.

Suddenly, I heard a horn beeping beside my truck. Looking up, I saw two policemen on a motorcycle. One of them was pointing at me and waving over to the side of the road. Although I had no clue why I was being pulled over, I obediently moved onto the shoulder and stopped. That’s when I was enlightened about this rule of the road.

Well, I couldn’t argue with the man. Ignorance of the law is no excuse, right? He kept my vehicle registration card, and I drove off with a ticket worth 12,000 francs (about $30), which I would have to pay at the municipal police station the next day before I could get my card back.

Whew! For a while there, I was afraid that I was leading a charmed life! :)

No comments: