Saturday, May 17, 2008

Caught in the Gears of Change


Ah, the joys of modern technology! Computers and language software have greatly helped people in our kind of work to analyze languages and translate God’s Word into them. However, it’s also a field where things are constantly changing. I just got caught in one of those changes.

The newest version of the language analysis software I’ve been using has just switched to a new format called Unicode. This means that anyone who wants to help analyze Kusaal and downloads the free software on the Internet will not be able to open my Kusaal language database because the font I used to input the linguistic data is not Unicode compatible.

So what does this mean for me? Lots of slogging on the computer. I downloaded a new Unicode compatible font and now have to re-enter much of my Kusaal data using the new font. Well, with everything switching to Unicode, this is something I’ll eventually have to do anyway. Good thing I’ve only got a few thousand words in my database :) And it’ll be a good chance to re-familiarize myself with all those Kusaal words.

Wow, and I was just wondering what I was going to do with myself during this entire long weekend!

No comments: